The ultimate reference book, providing an in-depth introduction to nanotechnology, discussing topics from ethics and philosophy to challenges faced by this up-and-coming industry, all in one comprehensive volume. The topic could not be hotter, Nanotechnology is the new technology drive of the 21st century paired with existing, multibillion dollar markets and fundings.
The 2 volumes set gives an excellent, in-depth overview of everything you need to know about nanotechnology and nanoscience with each volume dedicated to a specific topic which is covered in detail by experts from that particular field.
List of Contributors.
1. Introduction (Günter Schmid).
2. The Nature of Nanotechnology (Günter Schmid).
3. Top-Down Versus Bottom-Up (Wolfgang J. Parak, Friedrich C. Simmel, and Alexander W. Holleitner).
4. Fundamental Principles of Quantum Dots (Wolfgang J. Parak, Liberato manna, and Thomas Nann).
5. Fundamentals and Functionality of Inorganic Wires, Rods and Tubes (Jörg J. Schneider, Alexander Popp, and Jörg Engstler).
6. Biomolecule-Nanoparticle Hybrid Systems (Maya Zayats and Itamar Willner).
7. Philosophy of Nanotechnoscience (Alfred Nordmann).
8. Ethics of Nanotechnology. State of the Art and Challenges Ahead (Armin Grunwald).
9. Outlook and Consequences (Günter Schmid).
Gunter Schmid, Professor em. at the University of Duisburg-Essen. His research is focused on the interface between chemistry an physics, covering clusters, nanoparticles and nanosciences. He published about 350 papers and edited several books on nanomaterials and nanotechnology. He acts as a member in several editorial boards, e.g. for Small and Advanced Functional Materials. In 2003 he received the prestigious Wilhelm-Klemm award of the German Chemical Society