- Essential data and practical guidance for engineers and scientists working with plastics in applications that require sterile packaging and equipment.
- 3rd edition includes new introductory chapters on sterilization processes and polymer chemistry, providing the underpinning knowledge required to utilize the data.'
- Provides essential information and guidance for FDA submissions required for new Medical Devices.
This reference guide brings together a wide range of essential data on the sterilization of plastics and elastomers, enabling engineers to make optimal material choices and design decisions. The data tables in this book enable engineers and scientists to select the right materials, and right sterilization method for a given product or application.
The third edition includes new text chapters that provide the underpinning knowledge required to make best use of the data. Larry McKeen has also added detailed descriptions of sterilization methods for most common polymer classes such as polyolefins, polyamides, polyesters, elastomers, fluoropolymers, biodegradable plastics. Data has been updated throughout, with expanded information on newer classes of polymer utilized in medical devices and sterile packaging, such as UHMWPE, high temperature plastics (PEEK, PES, PPS, etc.), PBT, PETG, etc. The resulting Handbook is an essential reference for Plastics Engineers, Materials Scientists and Chemists working in contexts where sterilization is required, such as food packaging, pharmaceutical packaging and medical devices.
- Plastics engineers, product designers, packaging engineers and materials scientists.
- Medical device and packaging designers and users; polymer and coatings chemists; producers and users of sterile packaging products and medical devices.
- Sectors: food, beverage and pharmaceutical packaging; medical devices; chemical processing; agriculture; defense.
Introduction to Sterilization Processes
Introduction to Plastics and Polymers
Properties of Plastics
Markets and Applications for Plastics requiring sterilization
Polyolefins, Polyvinyls & Acrylics
High Temperature/High Performance Polymers
Elastomers and rubbers
Environmentally friendly polymers (biosource and biodegradable)